Max Richter announces SLEEP deluxe box set, May tour and remix project featuring Mogwai
Pre-order the box set here
Max Richter’s pioneering work SLEEP – the composition dubbed a “gigantic lullaby” by the Los Angeles Times – is to be made available physically in its 8 hour entirety for the first time on 11thDecember. Packaged in a beautifully-designed box, this new deluxe release contains 8 CDs and 1 high-definition pure audio Blu-ray disc.
Within two weeks of their digital release, SLEEP and the one-hour adaptation from SLEEP had topped the iTunes Classical charts around the world, making it the best-selling classical album worldwide in 2015. SLEEP went to the #1 spot in 26 countries and was voted #5 in the Rough Trade Albums of the Year list, whilst from Sleep also hit the pop charts in several countries.
Building on this success, a series of SLEEP remixes by both new and high-profile names are planned. The first of these, set for release on 11 December is by Mogwai – the band Max calls “darkly brilliant”. You can stream their remix of Path 5 now via YouTube and Vevo.
According to Crack magazine, “Richter operates within a kind of Venn diagram space between alternative popular music and the avant-garde” and this remix project was born out of Max’s passion for and immersion in contemporary sounds, to which he views as of equal cultural importance to the classical world.
Live audiences will get an opportunity to experience from SLEEP – a new shortened piece drawn from the full 8 hour SLEEP – in May 2016, when the Max Richter Ensemble undertake a major UK tour, visiting Bristol, London, Norwich, Manchester and Edinburgh.
The first half will feature a performance of The Blue Notebooks, which Time Out described as “a modern compositional tour de force of almost overwhelming emotional power.”
· Saturday 14th May Bristol, Colston Hall
· Tuesday 17th May London, Barbican
· Thursday 19th May Norwich, Norfolk & Norwich Festival
· Saturday 21st May Manchester, RNCM
· Tuesday 24th May Edinburgh, Usher Hall
Tickets available from Friday 27th November at www.serious.org.uk/max
· “Beguiling” The New Yorker
· “As much about somnolent near-silence as sound, the piece was haunting and beautiful, and yet more evidence, as if it were needed, of the enriching properties of art.” The Independent
· “Richter has made something so wide and gentle that you think you might be able to live inside it. Exquisite” Pitchfork
· ‘A modern composer par excellence, without fear and seemingly at the peak of his powers, SLEEP is a richly immersive and moving experience” The Quietus
· “Lush, glacially-paced movements that continually glide in and out of focus like fragments of half- remembered dreams.” Crack
· “Musically incredible and conceptually spot on. ‘Max Richter is truly a modern day musical genius” The Line of Best Fit